Thursday 4 April 2013

Everyone loves a bit of Vaalie

 Everyone loves a bit of Vaalie

I love the coast. There it is... I said it. Every year I start feeling more and more like a *Vaalie. Believe me, I am not happy about this but when you have lived away from the coast as long as I have there are certain habits that you pick up (against your will) that scream Vaalie.

* Vaalie - one who descends from landlocked Gauteng (formally the Transvaal) to the seaside. Hence Vaalie.

Firstly, you find yourself at the coast only at Christmas and Easter. Along with the rest of the Vaalie nation. If you do happen to hit a coastal town out of those holiday periods, you make poor coastal souls take you to the beach - even if it is just to look at it and breathe in the salty air. 1 x poor coastal brother has been subjected to this on countless occasions, thanks Trav. Unfortunately as much as I fight it, I fear I have more Vaalie tendencies these days.

As a coastal lover who is not currently residing near the beloved ocean, I feel like I have been quite forthcoming with my shifting status - but I could never go full Vaalie.

Let me explain full Vaalie - one starts to hyperventilate when the sea is in sight. The excitement builds to such capacity that as the first grain of sand touches the skin, the Vaalie charge is set in motion. Note: never get between the Vaalie and the ocean - it's up there with getting between an elephant and her calf - sane people just don't do it.

The Vaalie charge involves a Vaalie sprinting to the sea and the overwhelming happiness that is brought on by waves beating you into submission. I am allowed to bring the Vaaliness to light as I am marrying one and he is the one that explained (and happily demonstrated) all of the above.

Easter brought out the Vaalie in me as I descended down to the coast. But with a view like this who could resist.


I got to spend some good time with good people, and I have all the Vaalies to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment